Monday, January 02, 2006

Good Morning 2006!

Greetings Race Fans! I'm going to give a break down right quick. I want to tell you about the book I'm reading, my new years day meal, and ... I don't know, maybe New Years resolutions.

First the book - It's by Po Bronson and called "Why do I love these people?" My friend, Angie, picked it up at the airport after a trip back home, read it, and recommended it to me. I've read 87 pages and now I'm recommending it to you.

If you have a family, you might find the book interesting. It's basically a collection of short biographical essays of people who had to deal with some sort of family issue - a guy who fights to keep a relationship with his son, or a single mother who struggles to keep her hyperactive boy from being put into "special" classes. It's kinda heartfelt and touching, but the author, Po, presents the stories in a style that brings out the insights and not the sappy, girly crap. (sorry girls) Of course some people think it's new touch feely dad stuff, but I don't.

Topic 2! New Years day you eat black eyed peas and collard greens. Black eyed peas are really beans and are an excellent source of vitamins. Sometimes called collards, or simply greens ( you could get turnip or mustard greens), they are really the green leafy parts of a cabage plant. Why is it a tradition? It brings good luck, of course. The greens bring cash money and the peas bring coins or copper. Some people say that they are healthy foods you should eat all the time and others call it "soul food". I like the taste and ... well I must admit - Black eyed peas are my favorite and I might skip the collards (which might explain the large amount of coins I have on the dresser and the low number next the $ sign on my bank statements)

I found a great restuarantand treated myself to good luck meal and I think it's working. Also on the menu was fried okra, hush puppies and Sweet tea. So, along with my deep fried goodness I got some traditional southern luck.

That brings us to New Year's resolutions - I might follow up on being a talk show host, which the people around me as we watched the fireworks thought might be a good idea. Speaking of jobs, I might want to get one this year. I ate my collards,so I'm expecting some returns. hmmm... Resolutions... It sounds sort of hard and fast and I'm not that kinda guy, so here is a New Year's Motto.
"Bloody your hands"

The purpose of life nobody knows. (If you think you know, keep it to yourself or people will try to kill you.) I can bet we aren't here to keep a perfect record. Teams lose. People fail. Stuff breaks. Bloody your hands means to get involved without fear of failure or injury. If anyone is reading this from TOBC class 6 (transportation officer basic course) you will remember the instructor who gave used this motto.

So Bloody your hands (dirty your hands, if you prefer - same concept), and get involved in 2006. I'm not the only one who is happy to wave goodbye to 2005, nor the only one with a hopeful look for 2006.

No comments: