Monday, January 16, 2006

Martin Luther King and American innovation

Good Morning, yall.

It's a wet morning here in Tacoma. The rainy day streak ended yesterday windy sunny day at 28 days. The radio announcer said the new streak begins today at 1.

Doing what I do for MLK day - A humble list of links
muchfun,esl
A couple of links here for the esl set

Flickr: The MLK BLVD Pool

Flickr is almost certainly the best online photo management and sharing application in the world. Show off your favorite photos to the world, securely and privately show photos to your friends and family, or blog the photos you take with a cameraphone.
1956 Martin Luther King "Montgomery Story" Comic Book
A very cool comic about the bus boycott. And a great example of communicating with comics
American Rhetoric: Martin Luther King, Jr. - "I Have a Dream"
Full text and audio of Martin Luther King speech -- I Have A Dream
: : We Will Not Be Silenced : :
We Will Not Be Silenced - You've got to watch this flash animation of a MLK day speech. It's freakin' awesome and makes me want to run out in the streets to start the revolution.
Martin Luther King, Jr. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Get the facts.... wiki style! BTW, who shot MLK?
Martin Luther King Jr. Day Lesson Plans
Lesson Plans for teachers to use on Martin Luther King Jr. Day!

TrueMajorityACTION Oreos
Ben and Jerry's breaks down the budget crisis cookie style.
American Experience | Citizen King | Non-Violence | PBS
KEXP 90.3 FM - where the music matters
Civil rights movement music show
TrueMajority
I good primer on King in his own voice - another Flash animation
Sorry for the many many links... but WTF it's a holiday and if you aren't starting a non-violent protest in the name of Jesus, Ghandi, or King - sit down and read alittle.

Also,

I'm reading "The United States in 1800" by Henry Adams and it's getting good.

I wanted to put this quote in ....
"Truths would you teach, or save a sinking land,
All fear, none aid you, and few understand."

2 comments:

Tahoma Activist said...

Great links, man. I loved that flash animation of the MLK Day speech - linked to it from my blog. I am so sick and tired of the half-assed observations of history by our mainstream media. It's clear to me that they want us to be stupid and uninformed. Makes us easier to control that way, I guess. Or just easier to sell crappy products too.

Hey, if you're interested in a non-violent revolution, I have an idea over at my blog that might do the trick. It's a totally new way of organizing communities, around the issues that matter most. Let me know what you think, and may Martin's spirit drive us all to do better for our world, and ourselves.

Peace and love

Newman said...

I really love me some "We will not be Silenced". And I'm glad you like it, too. It really does make me ... fired up / energized / revolutionary.

The music and animation (?) is by a UK DJ, Paul Edge. But who is the speaker? When?

I would love to be in a crowd when that speech is given.