Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Nanny and John

...
A few months later, I came across a newspaper story on the guy. Turns out, his retirement hobby was pedaling his bike 50 miles every weekday. It was like a 9-to-5 job, but fun. He’d get up, eat breakfast, say goodbye to his wife and then start riding. He wouldn’t stop until he had knocked off 50 big ones. Every time an odometer maxed out at 9,999 miles, he’d disconnect it and hook up a new one. The old ones stayed on the handlebar showing all those beautiful nines lined up in a row.
...
Read the whole story on Bicycles and Icicles

It sort of reminds me of my 92 year old Grandfather, John Townsend. He rides his stationary bike 2 miles at the gym three days a week as a warm up for a weight lifting session. While my grandmother, Nanny, hangs out with her friends doing their "workouts", John is pumping iron with people half his age. When I lift the weight he lifts, my jaw drops and then I try hard not to strain and breathe as normally as I can.

He just smiles - "Just happy to be here"

No comments: