Monday, March 06, 2006

Alright, so... when can I leave America?

I'm reflecting on life and the whole of it lately, since I've been back from Costa Rica. And well, I want to know when can I leave here. Costa Rica is smokin' cool. And this place is pretty crappy, in comparsion.

I went to Playa del Coco (Ocotal) with Angie's Family. Big Angie, my girlfriend's Aunt, put all ten of us up in a swanky, private Villa on a hill over looking the coast. Incredible. A house staff for every need, a pool, hot tub, an incredible view, everything new and good food.

We spent the days driving down to the Beach or the little town or reading by the pool and napping. Highlights were the snorkle trip into the high seas in a homemade boat, a trip to a small farm and the cloud forest.

After dinner we relaxed around the table and I listened in on the Webb Family stories. Once everyone went to bed, Angie and I turned off all the lights and watched the shooting stars out over the water. We saw one that was like a flaming truck and it's light reflected off the water.

Other things about the Villa - Big Angie was so gracious to host us. The wind howled! There was no hot water for the first couple of days. God bless the "professor" behind the blender and Douglas her pupil - Douglas kept the pina coldas coming. Imperial beer! The "warm tub". Who wants to drive the van up to the impossible drive way? The rebar in the pool and the nails on the patio. We were the first ones to rent the Villa and the kinks were not worked out. My bag got lost by the airlines.

So, the first 7 days I spent in the lap of luxury with the Family Webb. The next three days I spent in the traditional cheap skate, shoestring, cosmic traveler style.

Beacause the flights were cheaper on the weekdays and I had the time, I booked my flight home 4 days later than everyone else. I said goodbye to them on Saturday morning at the Liberia Airport and hailed a cab to the town of Liberia.

The cab is good and cheap ($10), but he won't take me to the hotel. I had found the hotel Liberia in the Lonely Planet Costa Rica Guide. So I got out and walked across the PanAm highway (How cool is that!?) and hiked towards the city center. The sun is shining and all is groovy. And then, A bomb goes off. I'm about to dive down the pavement when I notice no one is alarmed so I pretend it doesn't bother me that mortar fire is dropping down on Liberia.

"This must be part of the festival" I think to myself. The Fiesta Civicas started the day before. Fireworks were announcing the beginning of a horse parade or Tope through the town. Danielle, the farmer we visited, had shown us his show horse he rides in parades like this. It was great to see all the horses and cowboys - authentic. I felt like I was transported back in time. So my adventure began... and it was great.

The first night, I travelled down the Nicoya peni. to see a "massive arrival" of sea turtles. The next night I watched the rodeo with my buddy, Byron. The next day, a jungle boat tour in the Paolo Verde National Park. And the last day, hiking trails around the volcano Rincon as well as skinny dipping the waterfall.

After all that I still had time to get two fillings in my teeth from an english speaking dentist on the same block as the hotel.

Each night there was fireworks and live bands on the square (100 yards from the Hotel) and a Diana or Revelie at 6 am.

I love costa rica. I got so lucky to be there for the festival and to meet up with the people I did. It seemed like a paradise of luxury and adventure. It would have been the same if not for Big Angie or Bryon or our guide Manfred and the Hotel Liberia.

stay tuned for photos.

No comments: